Foreword by the Headteacher
It gives me great pleasure to present to you Ysgol Gyfun Gŵyr’s website. In it, you will be able to read about the school’s aims and have a taste of the busy academic and cultural life of the school.
Since we opened in 1984, the school has consistently attained very high academic standards at county and national level. From the outset, the wide ranging and vibrant extra-curricular life of the school has been a notable feature of the school’s life and culture. We delight in our success in every field including academic, cultural and sporting achievements. We take pride in the personal progress of all our pupils whatever their talents and interests.
I hope that you find this website useful. Should you require additional information, do not hesitate to contact the school directly.
School Aims and Objectives
To create and maintain in the school:
- a community which is close, warm and supportive and which cares for the individual by placing his/her needs at the centre;
- a community that ensures that each pupil is valued equally without discriminating on the basis of gender, race, religion or ability and which, by nurturing in pupils a strong sense of self-respect and self-conﬁdence, can encourage pupils to realise their unique and valuable contribution to both the school and to the wider society;
- a community which is Welsh and which raises pupils’ awareness of their Welsh heritage in a way which will safeguard and develop the nation’s culture;
- a community which also values bilingualism and the ability of each pupil to contribute conﬁdently to a multi-lingual Wales and Europe;
- a community which operates within a framework of positive attitudes and moral and spiritual values thus ensuring clear guidance to every pupil on how to develop into a self- sufficient, responsible and sensitive person;
- a community which by means of its speciﬁc curriculum aims, and the effectiveness of its teaching and learning, succeeds in enabling all pupils to develop to their fullest potential academically, socially and physically whilst also providing satisfaction and pleasure;
- a community which prepares each pupil for the world of work by developing skills to the full so that pupils can become responsible and valuable citizens.